The Parliamentary Union of Nations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned

3 posters

Go down

Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned  Empty Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned

Post by S:t Artica and the N.K. Wed May 10, 2017 3:43 pm

Seeing as our honourable parliament is at risk of being adjourned (as of the writing of this). This situation has once again cast a light on an issue that I understand have been the topic of discussion before – how to resolve the inactivity of senators.

Our region needs a functional way of passing bills and amendments when 5 or more  senators are inactive and not fulfilling their obligations to the region.

I propose to grant the members of the region the power to pass or reject bills and amendments, through a simple majority vote, whenever parliament is adjourned. This is a good way of implementing direct democracy when elected senators are not able to fulfil their obligations to the region and its members. It is as well a way of keeping regional politics and progress moving forward.

I understand thanks to the Rt. Hon. Speaker and Senator Abdoa a similar law exist that

Rt. Hon. Speaker and Senator Abdoa. wrote:"provides for a yes/no referendum to be held on a question, [...] needing either the President, Prime Minister and two Senators to back it, or a petition by 20% of the membership of the Union."

As explained to me by Abdoa, that law has the purpose of granting power to the members whenever they disagree with a decision made by parliament, it does not address how to act when bills and amendments can not be passed because of inactivity among the majority of senators.

The constitution must address how to act when the functions and governing of this region are non-functional due to inactive senators and officials!

I invite all who have an interest in this idea to debate, develop and discuss this idea. Please ask any question you might have regarding this post, and I will do my best to answer it.
S:t Artica and the N.K.

Back to top Go down

Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned  Empty Re: Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned

Post by Libertarian Democracy Wed May 10, 2017 11:31 pm

I do like the concept: a way to legislate with an inactive Parliament, but I still strongly believe in the principle that it is the responsibility of the President and his Recruitment Council to maintain regional activity, and instead of reverting to direct democracy when Parliament is adjourned, simply direct the Executive to up the ante on recruitment.
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned  80px-Coronet_of_a_British_Baron.svg
Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned  06dW5co Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned  8rEF1Tb

Back to top Go down

Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned  Empty Re: Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned

Post by S:t Artica and the N.K. Thu May 11, 2017 4:51 pm

I understand how recruitment might be a part of a solution and at the same avoiding the real problem – how to act when senators (and officials) are inactive. People can be active when recruited but get inactive for some reason when elected. So recruitment is only a preventative measure, one that not automatically guarantee active senators. Once we are in this situation the only thing we can do is to wait until the term ends to elect new senators. That is valuable time waisted on progress and development.

Another problem is that once parliament is adjourned and inactive, people are less likely to join our region. They might be discouraged by the not functional parliament, not seeing this as an inactive region. So we might just end up in an endless loop.

Last edited by S:t Artica and the N.K. on Thu May 11, 2017 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Thu May 11, 2017 9:36 pm

Hm, I don't think we've ever had a situation with an active populace but an inactive Parliament. I think that perhaps if Parliament is suspended and there's a petition with the signatures of at least 50% of the members, a special election could be called. I think that would be preferable to the chaos of direct democracy.
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned  80px-Coronet_of_a_British_Baron.svg
Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned  06dW5co Introduce direct democracy when parliament is adjourned  8rEF1Tb

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystery Player Sat May 13, 2017 3:14 am

Libertarian Democracy wrote:Hm, I don't think we've ever had a situation with an active populace but an inactive Parliament.  I think that perhaps if Parliament is suspended and there's a petition with the signatures of at least 50% of the members, a special election could be called.  I think that would be preferable to the chaos of direct democracy.

Direct democracy in a Senate is not chaotic at all. Many regions do it, that have literally 8,000 more members than us, and it isn't chaotic at all.

I think the idea proposed in the OP is great. You can't recruit new nations to replace Senators, so this is a good way to immediately replace an inactive Senate quickly.
Mystery Player
Mystery Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down