The Parliamentary Union of Nations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017

+3
S:t Artica and the N.K.
Abdoa
Libertarian Democracy
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 Empty First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017

Post by Libertarian Democracy Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:41 am

Classical Liberal Party

First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 XwFfvee

Welcome to the 1st CLP Convention!  All members of the CLP are invited.  If you are not a member of the CLP, please refrain from posting here, and if you would like to join the party, do so in our Main Party Thread.

Why are we having this convention, you ask?  Because we should always be seeking to further our values and the development of the region by strengthening our party through our ideas.

Here are our goals for the Convention:
1) Compile our Electoral List (who will be running, and in what particular order) for the July 1st elections.  (PM and Parliament)
2) Put forth a CLP Manifesto, highlighting our common ideals.
3) Create a CLP Charter, defining an internal party structure.
4) Discuss novel ideas for recruiting new members to the party.
5) Discuss ideas for bills that we might want to propose in the next session of Parliament.
If any of you wish to discuss something else, let me know and I'll add it to this list.

Since we are going to be talking about all of these topics in the same thread, in order to avoid confusion I ask that you color-code your responses.  If you are addressing multiple topics in one post, please make sure you color code each section of your post correctly.  Here is the color key:
Code:
If you want to talk about something in general unrelated to the goals, use regular font color.
If you are talking about the Electoral List, surround that text in [color=blue]{Your Text Here}[/color] tags.
If you are talking about the Manifesto, surround that text in [color=red]{Your Text Here}[/color] tags.
If you are talking about the Charter, surround that text in [color=green]{Your Text Here}[/color] tags.
If you are talking about Recruitment, surround that text in [color=purple]{Your Text Here}[/color] tags.
If you are talking about new bills, surround that text in [color=orange]{Your Text Here}[/color] tags.

Last edited by Libertarian Democracy on Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:37 am; edited 4 times in total
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 80px-Coronet_of_a_British_Baron.svg
First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 06dW5co First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 8rEF1Tb

Back to top Go down

First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 Empty Re: First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017

Post by Abdoa Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:15 am

Greetings fellow Liberals! We are here today to discuss the future of our party, so lets get right to it.

First, I will be running for both Prime Minister and Senator, as I believe my experience and abilities qualify me for both posts.

I suggest the following themes for the CLP June 2017 Manifesto for the Prime Ministerial and Senatorial Elections:
1) Efficient Government - we get things done
2) Citizen's Voice - we always listen to our constituents' ideas and concerns
3) A Vision for the Future - we will set recruitment and activity goals for the government

Any other ideas?

Third, I wish to propose several ideas for how our party should work and run itself:
-I believe that we should be a democratic party, where major policy decisions may be made and reversed at Conventions, to be regularly held in the Citizen's Forum.
-I believe also that between those Conventions, there should be a Party Chair to lead the party and make provisional policy decisions in the absence of the Convention, a Party Vice-Chair as his deputy, and a General Secretary to oversee the day to day functioning of the party and recruitment, all elected at each Convention. If at any moment two of these three officers, collectively know as the Party Central Executive Committee, are incapacitated or resign, an Extraordinary Party Convention must be called to fill all posts.

Abdoa
Abdoa

First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 80px-Coronet_of_a_British_Baron.svg
First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 06dW5co First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 8rEF1Tb

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=abdoa

Back to top Go down

First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 Empty Re: First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017

Post by Libertarian Democracy Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:31 pm

I will be running for re-election as Senator.

Those are all great points, Abdoa, but I think there is one big point that we should address: freedom and liberty. No other party in the Union has done so much to guarantee rights and protect the freedoms of the people. We are government by,
of, and for the people.

I agree that a council of three would be the best way to run the party.
And we should probably create a mechanism to expand the Council as the Party grows. Maybe like for every 10 new nations, add 2 to the Council?

Also, what would be a good interval to hold council elections and conventions?
We might not want to change the council each time we choose to hold a convention,
but we should hold a convention every time we want to change the council. Maybe two-month intervals?

One thing that might help would be a brochure or a pamphlet outling all our key recruitment points. A nice looking dispatch that we can link to in recruitment messages and such.
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by S:t Artica and the N.K. Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:58 pm

Fellow party members, I am excited about this opportunity to discuss the future of this party with all of you!

I will be on vacation for the majority of the term and will thereby not run for any office. It would be irresponsible of me to do so and this region needs senators that know that they will have the time (and internet connection) to fulfill their responsibilities.

I agree with all of the suggested themes by the both of you. However, I propose the addition of: Integrity – We honor our values and promises.

Every second or third month could be a good interval for conventions. Perhaps it could be an idea to hold a convention sometime before a regularly scheduled PM election?

I agree that a professional and fresh looking dispatch is a great way to catch the eye of potential new members. For such a dispatch we should perhaps also update the party logo by giving it a higher resolution and a more interesting font. Being an active party is also vital for recruitment and these conventions are a great way of showing that. Could we perhaps also take initiative for more debates between the regional parties?

I propose that we should work towards adding the tag of "political parties", as well as any other tag that accurately describes our region to the regional tags in order to recruit more members. Together with this, I propose that links to dispatches about our regional parties should be added to our region's World Factbook Entry. This could potentially recruit more members as well as increasing the interest for the region's poltical parties. If we then play our cards right we could potenialy grow as a party.
(I'm unsure if this should be written under this color code or if it would be classified as something else, please correct me if I'm wrong.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:32 pm

I think for conventions, we might want to align it with Parliamentary Elections which are every two months, as opposed to the Prime Ministerial elections which are every four months.  However, how often do you think that we should elect party leaders?  In other words, what should be the term length for the party leaders?

1) Maybe we should change the logo?  I kinda just came up with it when I founded the party, but if anyone has any other ideas we could vote on a new one.
2) The problem with regional debates would be what in the world we would talk about.  Unlike in RL, we haven't seemed to develop clear divisions on any certain issues.  We had one debate back in the day for Founder elections, but that was in extraordinary circumstances and political parties didn't exist.  It was just last year but it seems like ages ago, lol.

Looking at the official tag cloud, I'm not really seeing anything that we don't already have that would be useful to pick up.  Earlier this year we passed SO#2017-10 ("Regional Tags Act"), which established our current tags. Maybe I'm overlooking something?
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by S:t Artica and the N.K. Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:07 pm

Libertarian Democracy wrote:1)Maybe we should change the logo?  I kinda just came up with it when I founded the party, but if anyone has any other ideas we could vote on a new one.
2) The problem with regional debates would be what in the world we would talk about.  Unlike in RL, we haven't seemed to develop clear divisions on any certain issues.  We had one debate back in the day for Founder elections, but that was in extraordinary circumstances and political parties didn't exist.  It was just last year but it seems like ages ago, lol.

1)I made a proposal for a new logo. What do you think? This one is scaled down.  
First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 Nbrpdw
2)Yeah, I realized that debates could be a bit difficult after I posted it. However, if an opportunity and topic arise it could be fun.

Libertarian Democracy wrote:Looking at the official tag cloud, I'm not really seeing anything that we don't already have that would be useful to pick up.  Earlier this year we passed SO#2017-10 ("Regional Tags Act"), which established our current tags. Maybe I'm overlooking something?

I was unaware of that bill, I only saw "large." as our only tag on the main page for the region. I assumed that the tags displayed there were the only in use.

Last edited by S:t Artica and the N.K. on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added the proposal for a new logo)

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:28 am

Wow, I'm impressed by your designing skills!

You're right; it appears as if the Founder has failed to comply with that bill. I'm sure Nassau would fix it as soon as we tell him, but if that fails we could order him to under the provisions of SO#2016-16 ("Parliamentary Motions Act").
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdoa Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:42 am

Well, you seem to have beaten me to saying that!

I think that's a good logo too.

Well, I say we have Conventions every second month (before every Parliamentary General Election) from the 10th to the 15th.
In between Conventions, the Central Executive Council would oversee the party, with the following composition:
-A Party Chair elected every second Convention - chairs the Conventions where he is not elected;
-A Party Vice-Chair elected every second Convention, along with the Party Chair;
-A General Secretary elected every Convention, staggered with the Party Chair - chairs the Conventions where he is not elected;
-With every tenth member, there shall be two Executive Councilors, elected every two Conventions equally staggered.

Therefore, we have five themes for our Manifesto:
I. Efficient Government
II. People's Voice
III. A Vision for the Future
IV. Freedom and Liberty
V. Integrity

I can work on fleshing those out, and post a draft here soon.
Abdoa
Abdoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Hashkin Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm

I wish to seek re-election

Can I run for General Sectary
Hashkin
Hashkin

First Classical Liberal Party Convention, June 11-19, 2017 8rEF1Tb

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:22 pm

@Hashkin, what position do you want to run for? If I recall correctly, you do not currently hold an elected office.

Before we start electing people, we should get the Charter written. I could handle this, if everyone agrees on Abdoa's proposed system.

You could probably just expand on the descriptions that we've already given in this thread. Go for it, and we'll put it to a vote when you're ready.
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by S:t Artica and the N.K. Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:50 pm

I agree with the proposed system.

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdoa Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:15 am

Here's the Manifesto: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=840034.

I further propose that we vote on everything on the 17th-19th together: Manifesto, Charter, etc, and then if the Charter passes, we elect the officers afterwards.
Abdoa
Abdoa

Back to top Go down

Post by S:t Artica and the N.K. Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:15 am

Looks good!

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:26 pm

Great work, Abdoa! Just two minor suggestions:
1) Strike "ccording to the plan described in this Manifesto" from part II
2) In Part III, maybe say a few short words about our previous perfect record?

Otherwise, it looks spectacular!

I agree with your proposed voting schedule for this Convention.
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdoa Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:05 am

Done!
Abdoa
Abdoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Hashkin Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:10 pm

@LibDem As a senator
Hashkin
Hashkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:21 am

A few orders of business before we begin voting:

1) I'm extending this convention until Thursday June 22nd. We need to wrap this up, folks. Elections are sneaking up fast!

2) Please, everyone, make sure that if you want to be a Senator or run for Prime Minister, your name is on this list.  If it is not, you need to let me know immediately. Senator Candidates are in the order that they announced their candidacy, which will be the order presented to the Founder on the final Electoral List.
  • Abdoa (Senator & PM)
  • LibDem (Senator)
  • Hashkin (Senator)

3) We will be voting on the new logo. So far, the only options will be the current one and St. Artica's. If anyone else wants to submit a logo for the ballot, please let me know ASAP.

4) Similarly, for the Party Manifesto, Abdoa's submission is the only one that will be on the ballot. If you would like to submit a Manifesto for the voting, please let me know ASAP.

5) For the Party Charter, please briefly discuss my submission: https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=841567
So far, this will be the only option for voting. If you want to submit a Charter for voting, please say so ASAP.

6) If nobody objects, I will Telegram Nassau-Windsor regarding his failure to comply with the Regional Tags Act.
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Hashkin Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:29 am

@LibDem I am very pleased with the Charter
Hashkin
Hashkin

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:54 am

Voting will start tomorrow.
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Aralunya Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:04 am

Sorry for the Inactivity and being late to the Convention
I would like to rerun for Parliament
All appears to be very good by my eye.
The Charter also looks excellent. tags.
Aralunya
Aralunya
Admin

https://parliamentaryunion.forumotion.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:15 am

VOTING

1) This convention is extended until the 25th.
2) Voting will be from right now until 23:59 UTC on June 22nd, 2017.
3) After voting concludes, I will announce the results and begin voting for the Party Leadership, assuming the Charter is passed.   Voting will last until 23:59 UTC on June 25th, 2017.
4) After that voting concludes, I will announce the results and adjourn the Convention with a closing address.

Please format your ballot like so:
Code:
[quote][color=purple][u]Logo:[/u] (Current or St. Artica's)[/color]
[color=red][u]Mainfesto:[/u] (AYE or NAY)[/color]
[color=green][u]Charter:[/u] (AYE or NAY)[/color]
---
[u]Candidate for Party Leadership[/u] (YES or NO; If YES, specify whether you will run for Chair, Vice-Chair, or General Secretary)[/quote]

For example, my ballot:

Logo: St. Artica's
Mainfesto: AYE
Charter: AYE
---
Candidate for Party Leadership: YES; General Secretary
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdoa Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:18 am

Logo:St. Artica's
---
Candidate for Party Leadership YES; Chair
Abdoa
Abdoa

Back to top Go down

Post by S:t Artica and the N.K. Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:27 pm

---
Candidate for Party Leadership NO

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystery Player Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:39 am

[quote]Logo: St. Artica's
Mainfesto: Aye
Charter: Aye
---
Candidate for Party Leadership No
Mystery Player
Mystery Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Aralunya Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:10 am

---
Candidate for Party Leadership YES; Vice-Chair
Aralunya
Aralunya
Admin

https://parliamentaryunion.forumotion.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next