The Parliamentary Union of Nations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament

4 posters

Go down

SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament Empty SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament

Post by Libertarian Democracy Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:25 am

Senate of the Parliamentary Union
SO 2017-77
Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament

Article I: Introduction
We, the 13th Parliament of the Union, do hereby approve the following nominations to the Parliamentary Committees under SO#2017-11 ("On Parliamentary Commissions and Committees") for the duration of the 13th Parliament.

Article II: Development Committee
Senators Hashkin, Thomolia, and UnitedTerran are appointed to the Development Committee for the duration of the 12th Parliament, with Senator Hashkin in the chair.

Article III: Management Committee
Senators Aralunya, Saint Artica and the Nordic Kingdoms, and Nassau-Windsor are appointed to the Management Committee for the duration of the 12th Parliament, with Senator Aralunya in the chair.

Article IV: Rules Committee
Senators Abdoa, Libertarian Democracy, and Lhistonia are appointed to the Rules Committee for the duration of the 12th Parliament, with Senator Abdoa in the chair.

November 14, 2017
The Right Honourable Minister of Jurisprudence Libertarian Democracy, RO MP LSM GSM

Debate scheduled 15-18 November 2017
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament 80px-Coronet_of_a_British_Baron.svg
SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament 06dW5co SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament 8rEF1Tb

Back to top Go down

SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament Empty Re: SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament

Post by Abdoa Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:53 am

I do hereby move to pass to a vote.
Abdoa
Abdoa

SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament 80px-Coronet_of_a_British_Baron.svg
SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament 06dW5co SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament 8rEF1Tb

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=abdoa

Back to top Go down

SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament Empty Re: SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament

Post by S:t Artica and the N.K. Wed Nov 15, 2017 4:43 pm

I second that motion.
S:t Artica and the N.K.
S:t Artica and the N.K.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nassau-Windsor Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:23 pm

Rt. Hon. and Hon. Members,

I feel the urge to state that this Bill was released not even 48-hours ago from this moment, yet already a motion to pass to a vote has been tabled. I think that other Hon. Members should have the opportunity to say something as well; Parliamentary Procedures ought not to be used to haste such procedures (however useful that may be).

Further to this point, I would like to note that during its stage at the Draft Table, not even a motion to pass was introduced when my Rt. Hon. friend [Libertarian Democracy], in his capacity as Speaker Pro Tempore of this Parliament, moved the Bill.

On the subject of the proposal itself, I would like to state that I am in favour of this proposal as it is.
Nassau-Windsor
Nassau-Windsor
Admin

SO 2017-77 Approval of Parliamentary Committees for the 13th Parliament 8rEF1Tb

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdoa Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:25 am

I would like to point out that this motion (not bill) is routine: I see no reason for us to spend any more time on it than is absolutely necessary. Also, I am rather confused by my Hon. friend's point here:

Further to this point, I would like to note that during its stage at the Draft Table, not even a motion to pass was introduced when my Rt. Hon. friend [Libertarian Democracy], in his capacity as Speaker Pro Tempore of this Parliament, moved the Bill.

Bills/Motions on the Drafting Table have not, and never had, needed any kind of "motion to pass" in order to advance to debate: the requisite number of co-sponsors was reached, and there were no other bills in line for debate, therefore it seems natural to me that the motion was moved here, otherwise we're just wasting time.

And may I point out two more things:
1) Senators are inherently supposed to check the forums at least once a day, maximum once every two days (though that has been very tenuous ever since the introduction of the Motion to Pass to a Vote). This is part of what we sign up for: the potential for a continuously operating Parliament. Our procedures are not, and should not be, constructed for an inactive Parliament - they should be able to be used most effectively by an active Parliament, that way we are incited to be more uniformly active.
2) Again, this motion is routine. We pass this type of motion at the beginning of every single Parliament, ever since last March. There has never been any opposition to this bill, and I can state from experience that in this case, it is much easier just to get the procedure done with as fast as possible, in case something else urgent comes up. The position of Chair is not, and arguably never has been, an objective position. It inherently implies a dedication to the balance of efficiency and transparency essential to a productive Parliament, a balance which is only achievable through a larger vision of general trends and dynamics within the Parliament and among the Senators.
Abdoa
Abdoa

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=abdoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:59 am

Hon. Friends,

As I learn the ropes of being Speaker, I intend to stick to the book rather than exercise discretion. The PPOs are clear in this matter, however, if you would like to consider this discussion, which is not directly related to the subject of this Debate thread, do so in the General Debate Thread.
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Libertarian Democracy Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:18 am

Debate has concluded; please go to the Voting Chamber.
Libertarian Democracy
Libertarian Democracy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down