The Parliamentary Union of Nations
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum!

4 posters

Go down

Would you like to see a new category in citizens' forum called "Citizens' opinions"?

Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! I_vote_lcap80%Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! I_vote_rcap 80% 
[ 4 ]
Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! I_vote_lcap20%Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! I_vote_rcap 20% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 5

Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! Empty Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum!

Post by S:t Artica and the N.K. Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:04 pm

The foundation of our region depends upon democracy and the opinions of our citizens. Yet, there is no natural way for citizens to voice their opinions regarding bills and proposals made by senators, as well as government policies. This is bad as the voices and opinions of our citizens should be heard in every step of the democratic process! Therefore, I propose the creation of a new category for the citizens' forum called "Citizens' opinions".

This new category should be created as an easy way for our citizens to comment and express their opinions regarding the works of the parliament and government. This includes but is not limited to asking questions to government officials and senators regarding policies and bills as well as comment and voice one's own opinions regarding bills in drafting or debate. As of right now, there is not a category of the forum that promotes citizens to actively engage in the works of parliament. Senators can discuss bills and so on in the drafting table and debate hall, however, these are not places for citizens to participate. Citizens can introduce ideas for bills and amendments to parliament in "Ideas for parliament" but there is no natural way for citizens to voice their opinions regarding bills and amendments already proposed by Senators in Parliament!

To summarize:
Create a new category in citizens' forum called "Citizens' opinions" in which:
-Citizens are allowed to comment on bills and amendment in the drafting table or in the debate hall, as well as and government policies.
-Citizens can debate bills, amendments, and government policies among themselves.
-Citizens can raise questions about bills, amendments government policies.
-Citizens can question directed to (specific) members of parliament and government.  

My hopes with this proposal are that it can engage citizens in regional politics which is very much needed! Please help me develop this idea further!
S:t Artica and the N.K.
S:t Artica and the N.K.

Back to top Go down

Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! Empty Re: Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum!

Post by Abdoa Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:07 pm

I support this idea, and it aligns with another project of mine: the soon-to-be-created Government Commission on Public Opinion, which will report to the executive on public opinion and recommend when a referendum should be held. They could be the ones overseeing this new section of the Citizen's Forum.
Abdoa
Abdoa

Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! 80px-Coronet_of_a_British_Baron.svg
Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! 06dW5co Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! 8rEF1Tb

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=abdoa

Back to top Go down

Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! Empty Re: Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum!

Post by Nassau-Windsor Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 pm

I tend to disagree with the Honourable author and the Right Honourable Prime Minister on this, as in my view, there already is a place where ordinary Members of Our Region can discuss various (said) issues with Members of Parliament: the Lobby.
Nassau-Windsor
Nassau-Windsor
Admin

Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! 8rEF1Tb

Back to top Go down

Post by Abdoa Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:37 pm

However, the Lobby was not created by law, was not even referenced by it until SO#2017-33 ("Parliamentary Journals Act") (which makes it seem like a forum for parliamentary publications), and is really the product of a misunderstanding over where citizens should talk about the government, because it rather infringes on what the Citizen's Forum is supposed to serve, as per SO#2015-05 ("Citizen's Forum Act"): "discussion of government affairs by the citizens of the Union". I always wondered why no-one deleted it, as it, in my mind, is out of place in the Parliament forum, which I see as a forum with exclusive posting rights for senators and affiliated organizations and persons. See SO#2017-29 ("Forum Posting Rights Act"): "While a nation is residing in the Union’s region in NationStates, they have the right to post messages and create topics on the forum, within the bounds defined by [...] extensive precedent."
Abdoa
Abdoa

Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! 80px-Coronet_of_a_British_Baron.svg
Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! 06dW5co Introduce "Citizen's opinions" to the forum! 8rEF1Tb

http://www.nationstates.net/nation=abdoa

Back to top Go down

Post by Mystery Player Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:26 am

I agree that this is necessary. Mandating a place where citizens can express their opinion on Legislative functions can help improve the bills, and allow citizens to discuss bills is important.
Mystery Player
Mystery Player

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down